Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Menopause Awareness Month

September, as I mentioned previously, is Menopause Awareness month.  I find that I am aware.  It seems I am, at last,  menopausal.  I don't have many symptoms really - why would I - I make something for that!!! Right?  What I really do notice, is the lack of my monthly flow.  I never found it problematic.  It was a monthly "ritual" that I had come to appreciate, not dread.   I loved my monthly "red."  I am also aware that I have been on this land for 11 years now.  11 Years!!!  Wow.
Cabin in the Woods
I am so grateful that I found herbs as a "lifestyle" long ago, long before I realized that so many women would depend on an herbal remedy through the transition called Menopause.  Little did I know I would be the one to create an herbal alternative.  Wild Yam and Vitex are strong allies for me, that is for sure.

Not only do I use them in my products, I have them growing all around me.  Vitex or Chaste Berry in my garden beds.  Wild yam grows itself in the woodland gardens throughout the property.  I am blessed to be here as I enter the Winter of my life.  I am blessed to have so many green guardians surrounding me.   As they protect me, it is my intention to protect them as well as encouraging their growth.  This botanical sanctuary in the Smoky Mountains is rich with medicinels that include endangered species.  It is my intention to cultivate ginseng, wild yam, and goldenseal in the natural woodland beds.

Wild Yam
I have been noticing lots of reds...not quite Fall colors - the "fruits" of things seem to be red, in many cases.   I have been thinking about red.  Missing the red of my menstrual flow.  Honoring the "me" that is now a fully menopausal woman, missing the "red" in her life.


MoonMaid has been around for 20 years.  Imagine that!!  More on that in another blog post.  Enjoy that big full moon out there.  It's a beauty.
Cynthia @ MoonMaid Botanicals

1 comment :

Witch of Stitches said...

A lovely post about honoring the "graduation" to Cronedom. I have not bled since my early-mid fifties, although I would still have a once a year bleed, very weird, just enough to keep me from crowning myself a Crone. At last, I too, have become fully menopausal. I find myself missing my monthly flow and yet enjoying the freedom from it. I feel that it is just a different energy.
I don't think this is the winter of my life quite yet though, just late Autumn - still full of color and flair... oh and fiery orange and red energy, a new red!
Your mountain is wonderful, keep those wonderful herbs growing and flourishing.